Sunday, February 19, 2012

Brand Spotlight - Hourglass

Hourglass Goodies

I had heard about Hourglass Cosmetics for a while before I actually tried anything in their line.

All the chatter was pretty positive, but the brand is kind of pricey, to my mind anyway, so I was hesitant to buy anything. Then one day, a friend and I were just kind of window-shopping at Sephora. When we passed the Hourglass section, I pointed them out to my friend and told her that I’d heard it was a really nice line. Just at that moment, a sales person came along - as they always seem to – and she talked me into letting her try the Illusion Tinted Moisturizer on me. I had no intention of buying it even as she was applying it, but once I looked in the mirror and saw my friend’s reaction (she insisted the girl try it on her right after!), I was a goner.

It was a good decision, as it turns out, because as I was waiting on line to pay, another customer who was passing by stopped to compliment me on my skin (which never happens to me, I swear) and when I told her it was the tinted moisturizer, she promptly went over to the Hourglass section to pick up one for herself.  

After that first experience, I took all of the gift cards that I got for my birthday a couple of months later and bought a bunch of Hourglass products – and fell head over heels in love with the brand. Yes, it’s expensive, but all of the products that I’ve tried perform even better than I’d hoped. I also love the packaging -  chic rosy-bronze metallic  containers that look great laid out on your vanity.  There are a bunch of other things that I hope to try from the line very soon, but here are my top three faves:

Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer
1.       Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Shell – While my skin is far from perfect, there are plenty of days that I don’t want to wear a heavy foundation or my skin is dry and can use some extra moisturize. Of all the tinted moisturizers that I’ve used, the Hourglass Illusion is my favorite. It has a less coverage than a traditional foundation, but it covers surprisingly well for a tinted moisturizer. Its finish is wonderfully glowy and dewy, which is what I prefer, and it feels like there’s nothing on your skin when you’re wearing it.  The one drawback is that the shade, Shell, is a little bit yellow-y, but not enough that it doesn’t look natural.  I love this. 
Illusion Tinted Moisturizer in Shell

*Note – the Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup would probably beat out the Tinted Moisturizer if not for one fatal flaw – the color. I have it in the lightest shade, No. O., and it’s still slightly too dark for my skin. If it matched, I’d probably live in the stuff – it’s full coverage but lightweight and has a beautiful, satiny finish.  If you can find a good color match (and can swing the $60 price tag), I wouldn’t hesitate to try this.


Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Grace
2.       Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Grace – Velvet is right! I don’t know how to describe the heaven that is Hourglass Lipstick. I’ve only tried one shade, Grace, but it’s a matte shade (but super shiny!), which are usually the trickiest to get right so I expect the other shades are just as fabulous. Instead of being dry or flaky, the lipstick is creamy and smooth and lasts for quite a while on the lips.  I love it.  I have my eye on Whisper, Fresco, and Edition, but at $30 a pop, I’m going to have save up a bit.
Femme Rouge Velvet Creme Lipstick in Grace


Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
3.       Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer – My life has recently been changed by the MUFE HD Primer, but I still love the Hourglass Veil Primer. It contains silicone, but like the MUFE primer, it doesn’t have that heavy feel that primers like Smashbox Photo Finish do. It’s a creamy, white formula that really does a great job minimizing pores and controlling shine. When my skin is on the dry side, though, this isn’t the best option since I need something slightly more moisturizing. If you’re interested in giving it a try, Sephora sells 0.33 ounce version for $17 so you don’t have to shell out $52 if you’re not sure the primer is for you.
Veil Mineral Primer Spread



I have to give an honorable mention to the Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Gypsy. It contains a light shimmery ivory shadow (so brightening in the inner corner!) and a medium bronzy brown. They blend like a dream, and are the perfect pairing for a basic everyday eye.  I don’t wear this as often as I should, but every time I do, I can’t get over how pretty it looks.

Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Gypsy

Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Gypsy Swatches

Have you tried any Hourglass products?  What are your favorites?  Are there items in the line that you’re dying to try?


No comments:

Post a Comment

meta name="p:domain_verify" content="07204cabec270a3888719bfc0